Thursday, April 17, 2008

National Poem in Your Pocket Day

This is from poets.org:

Celebrate the first national Poem In Your Pocket Day! The idea is simple: select a poem you love during National Poetry Month then carry it with you to share with co-workers, family, and friends on April 17. This annual poetry day has been celebrated in New York City since 2002.

Here's my poem for the day that I wrote in Boyd Deep Canyon, March 2008:

Dropped into an Ancient Cahuilla Village

My hands are soft
this is the first thing I notice
the soles of my feet are thin
my skin, pale

The people are dark from the sun
the men and children are naked
the women wear grass skirts

I hold out a hand
a token, a sign of peace
a hand useless for this way of life

I must find shade soon
standing in the summer sun
my skin begins to burn

Women move around me
the men stand back
stern faces
that wonder if I am spirit or beast

An old woman smiles
she extends her dark, calloused hand


(Petroglyph Books, 2008)

No comments: